- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 2 cups dried apricots cut into medium-sized chunks
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup dried coconut flakes
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- ½ cup chopped yellow pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large saucepan, bring the rice and 3½ cups water to a boil. Reduce to low heat and simmer until rice is tender (about 45 minutes).
- Combine apricots and tart cherries in a bowl. Cover with boiling water and let soak until the fruit is plump.
- Put coconut and almonds on two separate baking sheets. Bake until golden (coconut – about 3-4 minutes, almonds – 6-8 minutes). In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Add onion and peppers. Cook for five minutes. Add ginger, garlic, curry powder, cumin, salt, pepper cardamom, orange peel, lemon peel, and cinnamon. Stir for about one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in rice, dried fruit, toasted almonds, and toasted coconut. Spoon the mixture into a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the mixture is hot in the center.
Like what we do? Consider chipping in a few bucks.