Derby season is in full swing, and I am always looking for ways to add protein to my derby routine. The recipe includes simple ingredients and is more budget-friendly than purchasing protein bars. The bright citrus flavors and poppy seeds remind me of the classic flavors in lemon poppy seed muffins.
These protein bites are no-bake and don’t take much time in the kitchen.
Lemon Poppy Protein Bites
No-bake, vegetarian, can be made without gluten
Yields approx. 30 1-oz bites
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 6 scoops vanilla protein powder (vegetarian)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (approx. 2 lemons)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed is best
- 6 tablespoons water
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined. The consistency should be similar to cookie dough.
- Scoop the mixture out into one-tablespoon balls, using a spoon or small scoop. Bites may be easier to scoop if mixture is chilled for 15 minutes.
- Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. Shelf life is about 4 days.
- Whey-based protein powders will not set up, use a vegetarian protein powder. I am partial to Olly brand.
- Gluten free oats can be substituted if needed.
- You may need to add more liquid depending on the type of oats and protein powder you use.
- The sweetener can easily be substituted with sugar, honey, or even maple syrup but adjust the dry ingredients to accommodate the change. I use Madhava coconut sugar.
Like what we do? Consider chipping in a few bucks.